the big, bad(a**), built-in

when we bought our new house almost two years ago...much to my dismay we didnt get the fireplace option! we wanted it on a certain wall between two windows....but a new "code" stated that it wasnt ok there b/c of wind?!?! huh? thats what the builder told us...or thats what my husband told me!  so, i immediately decided that i wanted a built-in on the other big empty wall.  i turned to my resident DIY expert to build it.   i love how it turned out....so i thought i would share it....through the stages....with lots of pictures.....i like to use the dot dot dot......



here is the room when we first moved in (yikes!)



here is kevin in his favorite spot, working on the base for the sides




here they are placed in the room...like the paint job?




now it was time to make the middle cabinet for the base




and here it is in the room....with primer and a lot of wires!




next came the shelves for the top of the sides




and here i am (the ever faithful assistant) holding up the "bridge" and the doors are on


and here is the final product......it is big and i love it!



 and another view...


that is the first of many house projects i plan to show you! there is always something going on around here. the other day my son asked "when daddy is done with that crown molding...then will the house be done?" of course the answer was no:)  there is a huge learning curve with this blog business...so i hope you will stay with me while i figure it all out. first up....some better photography!

jodie

19 comments:

Matthews House and Garden said...

Jodie it looks great! Oh, and what about that DYI guy!

Unknown said...

that dude is crazy talented!

Unknown said...

beautiful!! your husband should sell his items! when our house is finished in august i'll send him a list of what i need ;)

Jodie Okun Interiors said...

thanks wanda! and courtney...you just made my husbands night!!

marlene said...

So I had to bring Brad here and show him Kevin's work. He said "that is amazing". I agree.

gretchen said...

Oh wow!! It really came together and I LOVE it! I need to come back and visit, your place is changing....

. said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Marti said...

I love it too! Isn't it great to have a resident building expert? Great job to the both of you (hey I know how much the assistant does!)

Lauren and Nick Miller said...

Do you mind giving me the dimensions of the built ins?

THE.PAINTED.STUDIO said...

very beautiful!

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

Great job Jodie! After doing a home reno 2 years ago, I learned to ask the inspectors myself whenever I was told we couldn't do something because of a "code". I think that's code for "we don't really want to do this"!!! Oh, and I live in Arlington!

Jodie Okun Interiors said...

thank you so much for all of your sweet comments!

@lauren...the basic outseide dimensions are 136" wide and 88" tall in the middle and 80" tall on the side bookcases. if you need anymore more dimensions....feel free to email me!

@melissa you are so right about code:) and i am so glad some dc area people are reading!

Sandra said...

What color did you paint the walls? It's beautiful...neutral, but not boring.

Jodie Okun Interiors said...

the color is from benjamin moore, their "affinity" line. the name is "thunder" (AF-685). i love it...its a chameleon color. sometimes it looks blueish, sometimes greenish and other times its just plain gray!

Remodelaholic said...

This is so wonderful! I would love to have you over to Remodelaholic to do a special guest post about this if you are interested, Please let me know and I will get the details to you!

Thanks,
Cassity

Jodie Okun Interiors said...

cassity...thank you! i would love to do a guest post! i emailed you...let me know what else i need to do!

Jennifer McDonald said...

HI, Ilove your bad (a**) built in. It's exactly what I had in mind for my family room but couldn't quite find or describe to my hubby. He could be convinced to attempt this project but I would need a few instructions, plans, dimensions, etc. Any details you can provide would be appreciated. Send an e-mail to rjmcdonald@ns.sympatico.ca. Thanks for sharing! Beautiful work.

Tiffany D said...

Hello Jodie this is beautiful! I would love to see if my husband and I can tackle this project, would you be able to send me more details about this project? Email:tes116@hotmail
Thank you so much!

Tiffany D said...

Sorry my email is tes115@hotmail.com!