before & after laundry room

who doesnt love a good before and after? i thought i would share a project that is finally finished in our house. it all started way back in june. we purchased some cabinets for our laundry room from a habitat for humanity re-store (i love scouring these places for some good finds). i think we got 6 cabinets for $60! even though they had about an inch of grease on them and were yucky wood....i knew they would clean up well:)  of course i forgot to take photos of them before....but you will see the after....in a minute.

we originally had wire shelving in the laundry room that came with the house. as i am sure many of you know...wire shelving is the pits!  everything falls over, a total mess. of course i dont have before photos of these either! what i do have is this before/during photo of the laundry room...



this is after sanding, priming and painting the cabinets (i was still working on the doors). if you look really close...under one of the left cabinets you can see a hole? that was our first set back. when kevin put them up, he had a nailer below to keep them all level...when he took the nailer off...a nice chunk of the wall came with it!

soooo....one week this summer when kevin was travelling for work...i decided i was going to really finish this laundry room. and i did...or so i thought. until i discovered about 3 weeks after finishing that kevin had (accidentally) screwed into a pipe when putting up the cabinets!  (ahh...live and learn) it had been slowly leaking behind one of the cabinets for about 2 months. so down came one of the cabinets... the pipe got fixed...new drywall went in....and the cabinet back up. and that brings us to october:)  but as most DIY projects go in our house....5 months is about right!

now that you are all caught up and on the edge of your seats! here is the after...



ahh...much better dont you think? here is another before and after of the other side of the room...



this little power house laundry room doubles as a mudroom:) here are more details....i added some lucite knobs to the cabinet doors. my sister-in-law gave me the idea of adding the fabric behind the washer and dryer to cover up all of the plugs and wires...thanks Liz!



i have a bunch of these old gas station pricing numbers. i decided to put the year we got married up...




i am noticing a definite pattern with me lately...i like painting on burlap!  i love the way this sink skirt turned out!




oh and this chandelier was from one of my clients who didnt want it for her daughters room....it was white so i gave it a little face lift with dark gray paint...and accented with gold.



last but not least here is the valance i made out of a ticking stripe. i cannot sew...but i can work miracles with stitch witchery!



i hope you enjoyed this little tour. i love my laundry room now:) it was worth all of the effort. unfortunately it hasnt helped me do the laundry and better or faster:(

i have been getting a lot done on my house list lately. stay tuned for photos of my kids bedrooms....

jodie

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another awesome room ... any chance you want to come to Norfolk in February :) Love reading your blog and seeing your work. Miss you friend.

Jodie Okun Interiors said...

thank you pattyblaser:) its nice to know someone is reading! not sure if we will make it feb...but expect a visit at some point:)

Sam | Away She Went said...

It looks amazing! I love the new cabinets...yes, wire shelving sucks! I love the chandelier too! I've been looking for one for my laundry room. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm a new follower and I'm loving your blog...and those built-ins!

Jodie Okun Interiors said...

thank you so much for following...i am glad you are enjoying it! i need to get a new post up soon:)

M. Rhodes said...

Hey Jod!!! Great info and pix on your home, its so pretty! So, how did you put fabric on a wall? I'm so not a DIY type, but I've really wanted to do a backsplash on my mudroom, behind our sink/washer/dryer. My husband is a NO go on that. Fabric is a great idea tho, is it water proof-ish? No one makes a mess back there, but it'd add something interesting for sure. Fill me in!

thx, Missy (west) Rhodes

Jodie Okun Interiors said...

hi missy!! thanks so much for reading:) the fabric is just hung on a good old fashion white metal rod....the kind that extend and bend on the ends? not sure of the technical term...but i got it at target for about $3. then i just hemmed the fabric on three sides and made a rod pocket at the top with stitch witchery.its just a cotton fabric...but if you are worried about it getting wet there are some really cute indoor/outdoor fabrics out there. i hope this helps. let me know if you have any more questions. take care! jodie

jill billings said...

I love the fabric idea in the laundry room. I am gonna try that in my house. I love, love, love the gasoline pricing numbers..i am catching up on your blog. awesome job, girl.
jill

Jodie Okun Interiors said...

thanks jill! i love my little laundry room too..i dont mind going in there now:) thanks for reading!