design style

my husband told me recently that someone asked him what my design style is. honestly, i couldnt give him and answer right away. i think that is a really hard question (for me anyway). dont get me wrong...i know what i like...but it is hard to describe. i am not one of those designers that people come to for a certain style. i think i was at one time because i worked for a company called french country living....so of course everyone i worked with was looking for that certain aesthetic.

now i am working for myself and my clients all want different things. my main goal when decorating is to bring their vision to life...whatever style it is. i honestly have never done anything uber modern...but i would love to. transitional is the farthest i have gone in that direction. i love the challenge of marrying my vision with my clients to come up with a design that makes us both happy. with that ,there are times that i concede and let things in a room that may not necessarily be my first choice. but it makes the client happy and honestly for me that is what really matters.



i have one client whose husband always wants to know our "theme"...what look are we going for in a room. for some reason this makes him feel better about it! so we have fun coming up with names for rooms that we are working on. their family room was "ralph laureny" and now we are working on the basement and and we came up with an "english pub" feel (see fabrics above).

here is a little sneak peak into the "ralph laureny" family room...



none of this rambling answers kevins original question.  first of all i like my designs to be cozy and comfortable. for me that is so important. i like rooms to look like they evolved over time...with lots of personal touches. i love neutrals with pops of color. i am a big fan of doing the larger upholstery pieces in a neutral tone and adding in color with rugs, soft treatments and accessories. and most of all a room just has to feel "right" to me....in proportion, style and function.like these rooms i found on pinterest. everything just works in this room(of course the orange accents sealed the deal for me!).



this entry way is the perfect combination of style and comfort...it is so welcoming to me.



so i am feeling pressure to use catchy phrase for my design style!  i really just want to answer "good" that my design style is "good design". however, that doesnt sound very catchy. how about "comfortable chic" or "casually elegant" or  "eclectic traditional" or...i could go on forever, so i will stop here!

how about you...whats your design style? any catchy phrases?

jodie

1 comment:

Christy said...

I feel like you Jodie. My style is comfy, cozy with an edge of elegance and flair. I'm doing my office in charcoal grey, burnt orange and crisp white. That color combo makes me happy. It might not be for everyone but there will be enough traditional elements to make it lasting. For example, the curtains I make will not be in orange but maybe a grey chevron. It'll be subtle and if I don't love orange anymore(I can't imagine I'd fall out of love) it will go with almost every color of the rainbow. Here's to having fun with color and design. :)
Christy